How do you make the perfect Italian tomato sauce - and which ingredients do you need? There are so many versions of this sauce that it’s not easy to make a decision. In fact, it’s very easy: a really good tomato sauce is created according to the principle “as much as necessary, as little as possible”. That’s why just a few good ingredients will be enough. You need tomatoes, basil, olive oil, garlic and sugar. Find out here how to use these ingredients to create a delicious base sauce for homemade pasta, meat or fish dishes.
The secret of a delicious Italian tomato sauce lies in the time it is left to simmer. To prepare the tomato sauce, you need just 10 minutes. However, overall, the sauce needs to simmer for 30-45 minutes to develop its full aroma.
The ingredients for a tomato sauce (serves 4)
- 1 can ORO di Parma chopped tomatoes. Alternatively, you can also use whole, skinned tomatoes.
- 1 handful fresh basil leaves
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsp. “extra vergine” olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- Peel the garlic
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the chopped tomatoes, sugar, garlic, basil and salt.
- Leave your sauce to simmer over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 30-45 minutes.
- Mash the tomatoes and garlic with a fork or wooden spoon. The larger the tomatoes, the more you have to mash them. Incidentally, you can also purée the tomatoes before simmering using a hand mixer.
Perfetto! Now you can serve your tomato sauce. It really is very simple. And you can vary the sauce in any way you want - for example by adding other Italian kitchen herbs.
Italian cuisine is full of well-preserved traditions. That’s what makes it so consistent in terms of its quality, and simply immortal. We will show you how to create these refined dishes for yourself. We won’t just offer recipes, but also secret kitchen tips that you can use every day, and which lead to better results even without the recipes.